Sunday, September 22, 2013

Chicken Wing Delight


It's not often I get the urge to cook more than something quick, but when I do I go all out.  Today it was chicken wings.

My biggest complaint with Mom's wings is that they're slightly soggy, and they are worse when they're left over.  When I found a recipe for crispy wings on bonappetit.com, here, it was like a lightbulb went off.  Duh!  Don't cook them in their juices.

Then it was time to find recipes for the sauces I was craving.  First, garlic parmesan - like Arooga's.  I found a Buffalo Wild Wings copycat recipe instead on a Charbroil forum, here.  In an effort to be *slightly* healthier, I subbed plain yogurt for the mayo.  It was a little runny (rather than creamy), but I think that's because of the substitution.

Then, Mom's Sweet and Sour sauce.

Sweet and Sour Chicken Wing Sauce
1 cup water
1/3 cup vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp soy sauce
1 tbsp ketchup

Bring all ingredients to a boil.  Mix 2 tbsp corn starch with 2 tbsp water, then add to sauce for thickening.  Whisk to remove lumps.

Here's the result:


It was definitely tasty and worth the effort.  I'll let you know if making enough for leftovers is as well.

And in case you're wondering, the green beans are a la my good friend Sarah at Recipe Savant.  You can find the recipe here!

No comments: